The Forest of Dean is full of interesting things to do and The House of Bread is perfectly placed for you to enjoy them.
Whether you want the seclusion of a forest or riverside walk followed up by a wine or local ale by the river, an action day of sports activities or a cultural or historical trail through the countryside, the Forest of Dean has it all.
In this section we provide lots of information on local activities so you can plan your stay. The Wye Valley and Forest of Dean Tourist Association also have a great website with lots of information (http://www.visitforestofdean.co.uk/) and there is a Tourist Information Centre in Coleford (by the main traffic lights) with many useful leaflets on things to do.
Our favourite things
Below is our hand-picked list of things for you to try or Click here to see what is going on locally and what we have been up to at The House of Bread.
- visit (our) Hot Pot Pottery – gallery and tea-room for a coffee/tea and tasty homemade treat and take in the pottery on display! Or get creative with our classes and activities. Tea-room (including pottery painting) open Easter to end Oct half-term week. Pottery trial classes possible most days and year-round but need to be booked in advance – see our website for more details!
- take a stroll through our local woods to the beautiful River Wye, visit Symonds Yat East or West (via the hand ferry or over Biblins Bridge and walk along the other side of the river (for great views, riverside pubs and canoeing).
- go to Symonds Yat Rock lookout and take in the beautiful views over the Wye Valley and Herefordshire and Wales (you can see Hay Bluff, The Malverns and The Beacons from here)
- visit the Cycle Centre at Cannop and take a ride through the beautiful scenery
- check out the tranquil Mallards Pike Lake and try and get a view of wild boar near the Speech House Hotel
- get fish and chips or dine on the Dean Forest Railway
- finish it all off with a meal in a local pub (The New Inn, The Globe or The Dog and Muffler are all just a short walk away)!